Three 2018 Essays + Some Awesome 2019 Reads
My sabbatical officially starts tomorrow and I’m trying to prepare by organizing my physical and digital spaces. I try to keep up with my website updates, but I’m organizationally challenged, so in tidying up, I realized I forgot to link three essays that were published in 2018. It’s no reflection of the level of joy (yes, they Spark Joy, as my new guru of tidiness, Marie Kondo, would say) I experienced in having them picked up by three awesome online literary magazines: The Nervous Breakdown, Crab Fat, and After the Art.
They’re on my Other Publications page now, but just wanted to send them out here, as well:
- “Dislocation,” The Nervous Breakdown, March 5, 2018.
- “Hurt Walker,” Crab Fat, December 2018.
- “Reading Kristín Ómarsdóttir’s Poetry After Visiting The Visitors,” After the Art, December 2018. This hybrid essay includes my ink/watercolor sketches.
I’m also collecting my 2019 awesome reads stack, some in preorders, some already part of my tsundoku (“the art of acquiring more books than one will read such that they gather in stacks and flocks on shelves and floors,” so quoted Rob Macfarlane, an author whose book I bought and have not yet read). However, I intend to read these gems, and others, this year:
- Be With Me Always, essay collection by Randon Billings Noble, out in March by Nebraska University Press.
- The Collected Schizophrenias: essays by Esmé Weijun Wang, out February by Graywolf
- Book of Mutter by Kate Zambreno, Semiotext(e), 2017
- Her Body and Other Parties: Stories by Carmen Maria Machado, Graywolf, 2017
- The Summer of Dead Birds by Ali Liebegott, out in March by Amethyst Editions
- Human Heartbeat Detected, essay collection by Chelsey Clammer with Red Hen Press, not sure of the release date for this, but am super excited to read! Chelsey Clammer’s writing is awesome and she teaches great workshops through WOW.
- Dig, a Personal Prehistoric Journey, debut memoir by Sam Chiarelli, my Books by Hippocampus bro-writer whose is touring about right now, sharing his dinosaur dream book!
Bro-writer!!! I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing your recap and reading list with us!!